With the announcement of Shri. Ram Nath Kovind as Presidential Candidate by the BJP party chief Amit Shah, we bring you 10 important facts about Shri. Ram Nath Kovind-
1. Born on 1st October 1945. He is a B.Com graduate and studied LLB from Kanpur University.
2. Ram Nath Kovind, if elected, will be the second Dalit President after K.R. Narayanan and first with RSS background.
3. He is at present the Governor of Bihar. He was appointed by the incumbent President Shri. Pranab Mukherjee on 8th Aug, 2015.
4. He has served as member of Rajya Sabha for 2 consecutive terms from 1994- 2000 and 2000-2006 from the state of Uttar Pradesh.
5. He has served as member of several Parliamentary committees on welfare of SC/ST, Home affairs, Petroleum and Natural gas, Social justice and empowerment, etc.
6. An advocate by profession, he became advocate-on-record of the supreme court in 1978.
7. He served as president of BJP Dalit Morcha from 1998 to 2002. And also as Party spokesperson for a brief period (never appeared on television when he was party spokesperson)
8. He served as President of the All-India Koli Samaj.
9. He was also Central government appointed Advocate in Delhi high court from 1977-79 and later standing counsel for Central govt. in supreme court from 1980-93.
10. He was also the SC/ST representative at IIM-Calcutta.